When doing the low-carb, fat burning diet known as Keto, it can be a little overwhelming having to cut so many things out of your daily diet. Thankfully, many enjoyable things are still allowed on the diet, like bacon and cheese. One more thing that many people hoped they wouldn’t have to give up is wine. Thankfully, many wines are allowed on a Keto focused diet. Here, we will talk about which wines to take advantage of and which to avoid while on the diet.
Overall, it is best to stick to wines that are dry. These wines will have less sugar and won’t inhibit Ketosis, like high sugar wines do. Try to stick to bottles with less than 10g of sugar in them.
Here are the top 7 wines that are low in sugar and carbs, making them best wines for a keto diet:
1. Sauvignon Blanc. Despite its almost sweet crispness, Sauvignon Blanc contains the least amount of carbs and sugars, making it a top dry keto wine. In one glass of Sauvignon Blanc, you’ll find only 3g of carbs.
2. Chardonnay. While both Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay are considered dry wines, Sauvignon Blanc is a light-bodied wine and Chardonnay is a full-bodied wine. Despite this difference, a glass of Chardonnay will have about 3.2g of carbs, just slightly above a Sauvignon Blanc.
3. Pinot Noir. As the first red on the top keto wines list, Pinot Noir isn’t too far off from a glass of Chardonnay with just 3.4g of carbs per serving size.
4. Merlot. Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon take the prize for being the most popular reds in America, but Merlot has a slight keto advantage at 3.7g of carbs compared to Cabernet’s 3.8g per glass.
5. Cabernet Sauvignon. Cabernet Sauvignon may not be the absolute lowest in carbs, but at 3.8g per 5oz. glass, it’s still a decently dry red wine for anyone following a ketogenic diet.
6. Pinot Grigio. A glass of Pinot Grigio will set you back around the same amount of carbs as a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. And if you’re in the mood for a white wine, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Blanc are about equal, nutritionally.
7. Pinot Blanc. A Pinot Blanc, which closely resembles a Pinot Grigio, also clocks in at 3.8g of carbs per serving.
The wines above are the best overall wines to look for when on the keto diet. Here are some to definitely avoid:
- Red or White Sangria
- Pink Zinfandel
- Port/Sherry wine
- Dessert wine
- Wine coolers
- Frozen wine pops
These are loaded with sugars and carbs and will be detrimental to your goals on a Keto diet. While a glass of wine every so often never hurts, there are some things to keep in mind when drinking during ketosis. Alcohol lowers your inhibition and may cause you to go lax on your diet regiment. Many people often say they are only going to have one glass but end up having a few, which throws them out of ketosis. Though the glasses may be low in carbs, the carbs quickly add up. Alcohol also slow fat burning potential. A major draw of the keto diet is how efficiently it burns fat, so excessive alcohol consumption would be counter-intuitive while on the diet. When your body is running on ketosis, it does lower your alcohol tolerance, which increases your change of hangover. And it makes the hangovers much more intense. So keep that in mind when enjoying a drink. Your limits may have changed while on ketosis and that should always be taken into account. Remember to drink responsibly.